Thursday, August 19, 2010

Still waiting to start.

I'm such a tease. I put up this blog and haven't begun yet. I want start this project, but right now it is a waiting game for the 10 DVD box set. I ordered it from Amazon and apparently the seller is shipping it via mule powered barge. I have a few final supplies to procure as well, e.g. a garbage can for the beater rack so I can “beat the devil” out of my brushes, odorless thinner which some asinine government agency says is hazmat and thus cannot be shipped to Anchorage, and canvases which I neglected to mailorder. Having found out Blaine’s Art Supplies where I planned to purchase canvases and thinner is moving and not open, I am going to have to shop around town or mailorder canvases. There has to be in AC Moore or Michaels hidden somewhere in this city.

However, as for good news, when I got in to my new place two days ago most of my supplies were waiting for me. Because I am not half-assing this, I wanted the full range of supplies. If a painting calls for yellow ochre, I wanted to be sure I had it. For such an egalitarian painter, Bob Ross’ site is quite expensive for his own gear. Luckily, being a bit of an artist already, I knew where to look – Dick Blick, the finest art supply mailorder business around. For a fraction of the price I purchased the following starter supplies:

Melamine Palette
Bamboo Lyre Easel

1-inch Landscape Brush
2-inch Background Brush
1-inch Round Foliage Brush
2-inch Soft Blender Brush
Halfsize Round Brush
1-inch Oval Brush
#3 Fan Blender Brush
#6 Fan Blender Brush
#2 Script Liner Brush
#6 Bristle Filbert Brush
Painting Knife #5
Painting Knife #10

Liquid Black, 8 oz.
Liquid Clear, 8 oz.
Liquid White, 8 oz.

Alizarin Crimson
Bright Red
Cadmium Yellow
Dark Sienna
Indian Yellow
Midnight Black
Mountain Mixture
Phthalo Blue
Phthalo Green
Prussian Blue
Sap Green
Titanium White
Van Dyke Brown
Yellow Ochre

Bob Ross Brush Beater Rack
Bob Ross Screen

For now I wait. I hope to get out hiking and ptarmigan hunting in the mountains this weekend for a bit of inspiration. I am really excited to do this. I forgot how hard it is to fill up a day when you are unemployed. You can only spend so much time surfing the internet, jogging and watching Netflix. My truck still not being here is also a pain. At least then I could travel around site seeing or buying craigslist furniture for the apartment. See the other blog for the wonders of unemployment. Until then, keep checking back. Happy little clouds will be coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment